Skip to main content

Ease & Comfort – What you need to know about your boat’s Certificate of Fitness?

By 11th Jul 2021Jul 27th, 2021Start Boating

All boats, except if powered by 15 horsepower or less, must obtain a certificate of fitness from a SAMSA officer, safety officer or an authorized agency.

This is obtained by having the required safety equipment onboard your vessel along with clear identification for the vessel (boat number, which is obtained when registering your boat with SAMSA). A certificate of Fitness is valid for 12 months, provided no structural changes were made to the vessel. The COF certificate must be onboard at all times.

Category C requirements: (most common)

Some items on the safety equipment list may expire over time and not all items available on the market are authorized as per SAMSA requirements. Remember to check your safety equipment regularly and do sufficient research on SAMSA approved safety equipment before purchasing.

  • A capsize bottle with a lanyard the width of the boat clearly marked with the boat number containing the following items:
    • Two red hand held distress flares
    • Two Red rocket parachute flares
    • One orange smoke flouting marker
    • Space blankets
    • Waterproof torch, batteries and a spare globe (when operating at night)
    • A handheld 12v spotlight with its own battery
    • An approved first aid kit with a green cross on the container to be easy identified
    • A Suitable magnetic handheld compass
    • A Fire extinguisher – one per outboard motor with 1.5 kg dry powder dated and serviced
    • Capsize rope
    • Sea anchor prepped for launching with a trip rope ready to use
    • Suitable chain not less than 3 meters in length for boats under 6 meters
    • Bow eye and stern eye
    • Anchor Ballard
    • Suitable scuppers
    • Emergency steering
    • Identity sheet which and be red, orange or yellow
    • 1 litre of drinking water per person that the boat may transport or have onboard
    • Approved Level 150 life jackets as per the passenger capacity of the boat
    • Approved fuel tanks (jerry cans) in accordance with SAMSA regulations
    • Spares and tools to carry our emergency repairs if needed
    • Air – Bellows and puncture repair kit (applicable to inflatable boats)
    • Bailing Bucket
    • Navigational lights
    • All equipment must be clearly market with the boat registration number

Join the discussion One Comment

  • HERMAN Steyn says:

    Hi, I stay in Bethlehem and want to register my boat and make it water going. Who can assist me.

Leave a Reply