Another course that is required when operating a boat that is heading out to sea, is the Marine Radio course which teaches emergency radio procedures and everyday operating techniques.
The Short Range Certificate (SRC) is for DSC / VHF radios operating up to 40 miles from shore.
As a radio is such an important piece of safety equipment onboard a marine vessel, it is crucial for users to understand and operate the equipment correctly. The course outline covers the following topics:
- Basics of Radio operation and the correct channels to use
- Distress, emergency and medical assistance procedure
- Making ship and shore telephone calls
- Emergency position indicating radio beacons.
- Digital selective calling using simulators
- Global marine distress and softy signals and systems
- Search and Rescue
The 1-day course is taught by using radio simulators and will be examined by a written test and practical assessment. All new VHF sets are either fitted, or can be interfaced with GPS to allow your position to be sent as part of a Distress Alert.
The course price ranges between R 1 600 – R 2 500 and your nearest dealer can advise you on available courses in your area.
Suzuki dealers will gladly assist you through this process applying their years of boating industry knowledge to ensure an easy entrance into boating!
Read this article if you want to know which other documents are required: